In May 2016, BEST launched online training for hotel staff and managers to understand and respond appropriately to human trafficking in hotels.
CONTENT BY HOTELS FOR HOTELS
The training content was developed and tested over three years by hoteliers, law enforcement, victim service providers, and an attorney for the lodging industry. The videos are sponsored by the Asian American Hotel Owner's Association (AAHOA) and Red Roof Inns and include the following content:
- What sex trafficking is
- How sex trafficking operates in hotels
- Indicators of sex trafficking
- Recommended actions to take if you or your staff see indicators
- Steps to proactively prevent illegal activity
- Information on legal liabilities
- Legal considerations for responding to a law enforcement request for a warrantless search of a guest registry or room
INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP OPTIONS
The training provides options for individuals to access training online or for managers to provide training to groups of staff or managers. The group training has clear instructions and sample questions to engage staff in dialogue.
Individuals that complete the training will receive BEST Certification. In addition, they will learn to protect their hotels and the most vulnerable people in their communities from this violent crime. The issue of sex trafficking is receiving increased attention by media and consumers alike. Training staff is a good business decision and a socially responsible choice for the community.
Thank you to our generous sponsors!